UAM announces 2017 Homecoming schedule
Tailgate parties, reunions, a golf tournament, parade and football game highlight a wide variety of events and activities at the University of Arkansas at Monticello as the Boll Weevils celebrate Homecoming 2017 Oct. 14-21.
The festivities begin this Saturday with the UAM Alumni and Friends Golf Tournament, a four-person scramble at DeSoto Golf Course in Hot Springs Village. The entry fee is $300 per team or $75 per player and includes green fees and cart. The tournament begins at 9 a.m. with a shotgun start.
Homecoming Week 2017 kicks off on campus with student activities Monday through Wednesday. A Spirit Wall painting contest and picnic on the grounds will be held Monday near the Centennial Clock Tower. Big Money Bingo is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday in the John F. Gibson University Center and a comedy show is set for 6 p.m. next Wednesday in the Fine Arts Center.
A beam signing for the Student Success Center and ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Learning Commons of the Fred J. Taylor Library and Technology Center will also be held next Wednesday. University officials and dignitaries will sign a beam at the construction site at 2 p.m. and hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 2:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons of the Taylor Library and Technology Center. Scheduled speakers for the event include University of Arkansas System President Donald Bobbitt, State Sen. Eddie Cheatham (D-Crossett) and UAM Chancellor Karla Hughes.
The UAM Sports Hall of Fame induction banquet will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19 in the University Center. Tickets are $40 a person and may be purchased by calling the Department of Athletics at 870-460-1058.
Later that evening, alumni and friends are invited to join students at Willis “Convoy” Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium for bed races and a pep rally beginning at 8 p.m.
A Homecoming celebration for alumni and friends, including an informal dinner and introduction of the 2017 Alumni Award for Achievement and Merit recipients, is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 20 in the University Center.
A full slate of activities is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 21, including:
• Arkansas A&M College/UAM African-American Alumni reunion breakfast, 9 a.m., Capitol Room of the University Center;
• Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority reunion breakfast, 9 a.m., University Center Gallery Room;
• Homecoming Queens reunion brunch, 10 a.m., University Center Green Room;
• Welcome to UAM Alumni Tent, 11 a.m., Tailgate Row;
• Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity reunion, 11 a.m., Tailgate Row;
• UAM Band and Music reunions, 11 a.m., Tailgate Row;
• Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity reunion, 11 a.m., Tailgate Row;
• Walk of Champions and Homecoming parade, 12:30 p.m., Tailgate Row;
• Pregame ceremony, including introduction of 2017 Homecoming Court and coronation of queen, 2:30 p.m., Convoy Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium;
• Kickoff of Homecoming football game, UAM vs. Southern Nazarene University, 3 p.m., Convoy Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium.